Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Film Review : Eames

Every few years the silver screen gives a nod to the world of architecture - Sketches of Frank Ghery (2005) or My Architect (2003). We now have the next addition to our movie library with 'Eames: The architect and the painter' a movie now playing about the lives and work of Charles and Ray Eames.

Charles and Ray Eames' work is synonymous with defining the American postwar aesthetic and they were a power couple in the world of industrial design.  Their furniture is relatable, comfortable and beautiful.  This movie is an amalgamation of archival short films they created as well as featuring interviews by former colleagues, friends and industry experts.  It looks like it is going to be great, and now that it is open in NYC and LA I cannot wait to see it!  Anyone having already seen it please let me know what you thought in the comment section.





photos from Luxury Culture

2 comments:

  1. I know this is an old post but I saw this in LinkWithin and had to comment. Is this the American Experience episode on the Eames'? That was such an amazing documentary. I will be in LA in the spring and am looking forward to touring their home.

    I remember distinctly this one scene where they were interviewed on TV. The interviewer kept insisting that Ray was Charles' assistant and to his credit, Charles kept correcting her that Ray was an equal partner. Funny how things have changed since the 1960's yet in other ways, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you will have to tell me how the house is...I can only imagine it to be amazing! There are so many great places to visit architecturally in the LA area, I gotta make it out there one of these days.
      That is the movie! The interviews were fantastic and it really did give me an idea of their partnership as well as a sense of who they were.

      Delete

Comments are welcome - I read each and every one of them and love hearing your thoughts and ideas.
Thank you for taking the time to visit Canoe Design and I look forward to hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...